Wednesday 3 February 2010

New designer

After an invitation to contribute on the Jontom blog I was instantly excited about becoming a part of it. I hope to use my posts as a way to expand the content by showing my interests (mainly graphic design based) and help provide an even more fluent and inspiring blog for readers to indulge in.

My name is Tom Dabner and I'm currently in my second year studying Graphic Design at Sheffield Hallam University. I also have my own blog at www.fivesandzeros.blogspot.com which showcases my own work, but I will be using this space to create an insight to my interests and influences in design.

My main interest is corporate and brand identity which leads me to my first post:














A brand new book titled 'Logo Design Love' by Irish freelance designer David Airey. I have recently purchased this book in the hope of it enlightening me in my design skills and teaching me ways to utilise them properly. I must say so far it is fantastic! The case studies used are brilliant and the way in which he approaches the reader makes for an easy and insightful read.

"Iconic designs that stand apart from the crowd have just one feature to help them stand out. That's it. Just one. Not two, three, or four. One."

This quote taken from the book shows how direct and gripping his writing is. Above he was explaining the fundamentals of logo design, using the new 'French property Exhibition' logo (shown below) redesigned in 2008 by Roy Smith Design.















The book can be bought on Amazon.co.uk and also over at David's blog of the same title LogoDesignLove.


I hope you enjoyed my first post and look forward to many to come.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks very much, Thomas! I'm very glad you find the content of interest, and your feature here is greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheers Tom for joining, very interesting post!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Contributors